Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sushi with kids

Yes it can be done! You can make sushi... even with kids helping out. I did a very easy form of it though, and only veggies. The key to dealing with sticky rice is to keep your hands really wet. We made a water vinegar mix, here you see Marin getting her hands wet.










Here she is making a flat space to put all of our veggies before we roll it up.














And here is the final product! OK so there are a few other steps in the middle but all that matters is that we did it and she had lots of fun, and I got my child to eat a lot of veggies that night for dinner too.

For the health nuts out there, I used low sodium soy sauce for dipping.

If you want to try this out with your kids you need:

*parchment paper
*veggies cut in thin strips, I used: cucumbers, carrots, avocado, and a little cream cheese (In know that's not a vegetable!)
*Sushi rice (directions: 4 cups rice, 4 cups water, in same pot bring to boil, leave heat on low for 15 minutes, and then leave lid on rice with no heat for 15 minutes, mix in about 1/4 cup rice vinegar)
*Soy sauce
*Wasabi (we did not give this to my kid its to "piscy")
My directions came from a Cooking Light cook book I have.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: