Sunday, May 24, 2009

On the Day You Were Born


Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE children's literature. Good literature that is. I am very particular about books I choose. Part of my book choosing decisions are shaped by a book I read a few months ago called "Honey for A Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt. This is a great resource on how to pick out good children's stories, the importance of literature in a child's life and why the quality matters.

One of my favorite books we read to Marin is "On the Day You Were Born" by Debra Frasier. This book is about how the natural world; Artic terns, humpback whales, the Sun and Moon, and even the pulling tide share in the joy of a baby's arrival. The baby in the end turns out to be the baby you are reading the story to. I love the last page of this book which says; ""Welcome to the spinning world," the people sang, as they washed your new, tiny hands. "Welcome to the green Earth," the people sang, as they wrapped your wet, slippery body. And as they held you close they whispered into your open, curving ear, "We are so glad you've come!""

Its a wonderful book about how we are all connected, nature and humans,and how important and wonderful each aspect of that interaction can be. This book is also about the celebration of the birth of a baby. Marin loves having a book that tells her what a special day her arrival was.

Check it out from your local library some time, or give it as a baby gift.

No comments: